Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Attic Adventures

Remember the bible I found? A couple weeks ago I headed back to the attic to see if anything was missed. It is totally impossible to see everything. I moved some stuff to the south of the chimney and underneath found some old dishes. I could care less about old dishes... but thought I should take a look. There was an orange pitcher I set out. I couldn't see anthing written on the bottom and didn't notice any chips. Also salt and paper shakers, one of which had been broken. The other was kind of pretty. A poodle that I think may have been a toothpick holder. Some plates and other stuff. I set them out to discover an envelope under them. In it was Grandma and Grandpa Haynes wedding certificate. It is in great shape and has their pictures on it. You can bet what I was interested in! Under it was another envelope with newspaper clippings. It was hot up there, so I took the two envelopes and headed downstairs. The envelope contained some obits of relatives and people around Farnhamville. A week or so later I took a basket to pack breakables in and headed back upstairs. Jennifer had taken the pitcher and poodle. Great. Someone needed them that will appreciate them. I took the other stuff downstairs where the light was better. The plates were chipped and the gold tarnished. I put them in the cupboard. I brought home the pieces pictured and the one salt shaker, and a couple cut glass dishes. They cleaned up pretty well. The ugly green dish is hand painted and numbered on the back. The other is kind of pretty and has a sticker on the back identifying it as Ucagco (or Vcagco) ceramics, Japan. The obits I copied and also mailed to Kent Sandburg. He works on the Sandburg genealogy too. Some of them were of Grandma's step-brothers and listed their children and where they traveled from to attend the funerals. Great information!!! These dishes had to be Grandma's. I don't ever remember seeing them and they were in the box with her wedding certificate.

3 comments:

  1. Does this mean Grandma was Japanese?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really think she was...............

    ReplyDelete
  3. She was short, liked fish. I don't think she would eat cat though.

    ReplyDelete